We learnt that when we get two cups and a really long piece of string and we put one of the cups on our ears and a second cup on our mouths, and one person listens and one person talks through it we could hear the person’s voice. In the olden days, this is how they made their phones.
What we discovered:
- Foam cups didn’t work. Plastic cups worked better.
- The string vibrates when you talk.
- It only worked the string was taut.
- 2 plastic cups
- 1 piece of string, about 2 metres
- Make a hole at the bottom of the cups by poking with a pin and then a pen. If it doesn’t work you can use scissors (carefully!).
- Put the string through the hole and tie a knot or double knot so the knot is inside the cup. Put the other end of the string through the other cup and tie a knot so the knot is inside the cup.
- Hold your cups so that the string is taut (pull the string tight). One person puts the cup to their mouth and the other person puts it up to their ear. One person talks and one person listens.
We hope you enjoy playing with your new phone!